Go/No-Go Task Programming (David McFarlane?)

gugs ahuvayochevedsegal at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 01:55:23 UTC 2012

Hi All,
I posted a query on the e-prime discussion forum last week but haven't had
any replies yet.  The main issue I am having in programming a go/no-go task
is that the acc column is incorrectly returning a 0 when the answer is
correct (but only for cases where an individual should not be responding to
the stimulus).

I have posted the detail here:
https://www.pstnet.com/forum/Topic6489-23-1.aspx, but I will post them here
as well in case someone has an idea of how to correct this.  David - I know
you are generally answered a lot of go/no-go extended input type queries so
I was hoping you might know.

===============

The task is fairly simple - an either emotive (i.e. happy, sad) or neutral
word will appear on the screen for 300 ms, followed by a blank screen for
1200 seconds (for a total of 1500 ms). The participant needs to press the
letter g if the word is neutral or do nothing if the word is emotive.
Pressing the key should log a response time, but should not end the
stimulus event (i.e. the stimulus+blank screen will always run for 1500 ms
even if the participant responds within the first 300 ms). The participant
can respond anytime throughout that 1500 msec. I understand this is called
"extended input" - which I have accounted for by making the time
limit>duration.

My biggest problem that I noticed is that my RESP Acc is coming back as 0
when the correct action is to do nothing, and the person has not pressed
any key. Do you know why this is?

I have uploaded a simple example file showing just 4 practice trials. If
someone who is experienced could take a look at it it would be much
appreciated - I am all alone in my department working with e-prime and
there is noone to really talk to here