Running a new procedure after fixed number of trials

David Vinson d.vinson at ucl.ac.uk
Sat Feb 11 10:44:25 UTC 2012

Hi Christina,

This is a common situation, for example when inserting a break every N
trials.

The easiest way I've found to do it is to insert that procedure
("NewProc") as if it occurred every trial, then add a Label immediately
after it ("JumpToLabel").  Then right before the procedure add an inline
to check the sample number and go to the "JumpToLabel" (thus skipping
past NewProc) unless it meets your requirements

If c.GetAttrib(c.GetAttrib("Running") & ".Sample")  MOD 30 = 0 Then
   goto JumpToLabel
End If

There's a sample experiment on the e-prime support site,
http://www.pstnet.com/support/samples.asp?Mode=View&SampleID=33
which does a similar thing, instead by running a procedure that sits
outside of the main experiment procedure (Unreferenced Objects) - in
this case the input masks would need to be set with an additional line
in inline code (see the sample InsertPause.es for more info).

One note - if your inserted procedure is something that logs data (e.g.
*.ACC etc) you may need to clear these values on instances in which the
event is skipped - otherwise they may inherit the values from the last
trial in which NewProc was run.

hope this helps,
-dv

--