problems with consistent video duration

David Vinson d.vinson at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Feb 27 10:33:14 UTC 2012

Hi Lindsay,

Unfortunately it can be a lot of work to get videos to display
correctly, and it looks like you've gone through a sensible process so
far.   We experienced something similar, and suspected it could be
related to the time it takes to load the video files from the hard drive
and get them displayed in time.  We might not be correct but we managed
to eliminate these problems (or at least sufficiently reduce them) by a
combination of a few factors:

1. pre-load the video (e.g. MovieDisplay1.Load in an inline object) well
before the movie is due to start playing
2. include a fairly high % of breaks between trials if possible, which
may help resolve the buildup of lag
3. if you are using an older/slower machine it may be useful to have
video files on a different hard drive than the one being used for
virtual memory

And 4. a bit more "trial and error" with video formats.  Keep in mind
that just converting from one video format to another may not be
sufficient - it may be necessary to re-compress with a different codec.

In troubleshooting these matters it may also be helpful to set up the
simplest possible miniature version of your experiment (e.g. just one or
two videos) repeated many times in the simplest possible trial sequence,
and see if your problem reproduces under those conditions.

OR.... am I missing something here - if one of your videos is 13 sec and
you only display it for 7 seconds, this would cut it off about halfway
through.  But surely it's not as simple as this.

good luck, and please report back to the list if you figure it out.
-dv

--
David Vinson, Ph.D.
Senior Postdoctoral Researcher