problem displaying grayscale images

MSpape sovspape at cognitology.eu
Wed Jan 25 20:32:15 UTC 2012

Hi,
Dammit, so happy I was to suggest something, should have read newer
messages first! Sorry about that, but well found...
Best,
Mich

------------
Hi,
Two things, but sadly I cannot replicate your bug (if it is such), as
I'm still lacking in E-Prime:
* Have you tried converting the images to regular (what is it, 32
bit?) bmps? It might well be that E-Prime does not use 128 colours
grayscale (8
bit) but 128 colours coloured decoding, which would result in far
fewer colours for gray (perhaps about 8, which isn't a lot if you
include white and black!). Recoding the pictures in maximal bitrate
should help.
* Is your screen set to 16 bit (E-Prime default) instead of 32 bit?
The former is recommended since time immemorial, but we do remember
that PCs were much less able to decode fast (so that decoding time
would result in latency). It used to be thought of as 'optimising' to
run your videocard 32-bit style, but (or so I've heard), there are so
few people actually using that now that videocards themselves are
optimised for 32-bit, resulting at best in equal performance for 16-
bit, and possible even slower (for useless conversion). Anyway, I'd
suggest changing the 16-bit in E-Prime to 32-bit - I assume it won't
hurt!
Best,
Mich

(back from being a gentleman of leisure) Research fellow Helsinki
Institute for Information Technology Finland