delay discounting

Michiel Sovijarvi-Spape mspape at cognitology.eu
Thu Jul 12 06:49:48 UTC 2012

Hi,

More information would be appreciated. As per
http://149.142.158.188/phenowiki/wiki/index.php/Delay_Discounting_Task_(DDT)
, it seems to be a sort of delay of gratification task in which you ask
people whether they want 40 pound now, or 100 pounds in a week - correct?
Doesn't sound to me like the type of thing you'd normally use e-prime for,
but anyway... what seems to be the problem? Are you also concerned about:
"Has anyone programmed into a slide a box where monetary earnings are
accumulated and if so, how?"

Again, I'd really not use E-Prime for slides and anything pretty really - a
slider is a pretty normal object, just drag and drop in java, .net, and so
on, but makes little sense in E-Prime, where solid timing characteristics
are the main focus. IF you must, and I understand some students do, use
E-Prime (possibly for no other reason than that people have heard it's good
practice for psychologists to do so), you could present them with two random
choices [now] and [later] on a single textdisplay which says:

"Press 1 if you would prefer [now] now or 2 if you would prefer [later]
later?" and then add these as attributes to a list. "accumulated monetary
earnings" can then be done as the sums of choices by adding an inline:

if TextDisplay1.RESP = 1 then sumnow = sumnow + c.GetAttrib("now")

if TextDisplay1.RESP = 2 then sumlater = sumlater = c.GetAttrib("later")

c.SetAttrib "sumnow" = sumnow

c.SetAttrib "sumlater" = sumlater

(obviously, sumnow and sumlater are declared in the user script)

Good luck.

Best,

Mich