Recording the response time for two correct answers in the same trial

Sean suprman34 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 19:56:05 UTC 2012

Hi, I am in the process of creating an experiment that assesses sustained
attention. One of my variables is whether the participant is taking the
test alone or with another individual. Everything works smoothly in the
alone condition, but it gest tricky when I have two people taking the test.

The way the test is set up: There are 300 trials in random order that each
contain a string of six digits. The participants' task is to respond
correctly and as quickly as possible for each trial. If there is the number
4 in the sequence of numbers, they are asked to respond by pressing 1, and
if the 4 is absent they are asked to press 2. Then the screen goes blank
for about a half of a second and then shows the next sequence of numbers.

Now I know that the response time is recorded for the individual responding
with the 1 and 2, but I need to also be able to record the response time
(and correctness) of another participant taking the same test on the same
screen using the same keyboard. I got the program to accept 2 responses
before moving on to the next sequence, but it only records the first
response. For the second participant I asked that they use the keys Z and X
the same way I explained for 1 and 2 (Z if there is a 4, X if there is not
a 4).

Is there a way that the program can log the response time and accuracy of
both participants taking the test together? In other words, if one
participants presses 1 and the other participant presses Z, how can I get
the response time for both of the responses?

Thanks in advance for any help