Dual Task (One is experimenter-paced, the other is participant-paced)

Khu ladude626 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 18:58:52 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to program a dual task in which participants are presented with
a series of pictures that appear for 3 seconds each. At the same time, they
are completing a secondary letter detection task in which they hear
different letters of the alphabet and must enter a corresponding key. I
want this secondary task to be participant-paced meaning that the next
letter is presented after they enter a response. Also, I want the program
to exit as soon as 10 pictures appear whether or not the letter detection
task is done.

I've downloaded the dual task example on pstnet support but it does not
appear to work the way I want it to. Specifically, the pictures change
every time I enter a response for the secondary task rather than after
every 3 seconds. I guess the difference between my experiment and the
example is that both of the tasks in the example are experimenter-paced
whereas in my experiment, one is experimenter-paced and one is
participant-paced. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Khuyen