Semi random song play

Michiel Sovijarvi-Spape mspape at cognitology.eu
Wed Jun 6 07:17:27 UTC 2012

Hi,
"how can I randomly select two trials from the list of 4?"
Well, you should be able to know how to select fewer than the full list of
trials from a list after going through the barest minimum of the getting
started guide to E-Prime.

"Songs 3 and 4 are different!"
That's what you asked, no? Or do you mean, "only songs 3 and 4 need to be
different, not the rest". That'd be a bit uncommon (usually people want to
avoid repetition in general, if they do this restricted randomisation
thing), but sure, then there are a few combinations which I omitted. Of
course, you could just extend the list by including:
[Songs:1] [Songs:1] [Songs:2] [Songs:3] [Songs:2] [Songs:3]
[Songs:1] [Songs:1] [Songs:2] [Songs:3] [Songs:3] [Songs:2]
[Songs:1] [Songs:2] [Songs:2] [Songs:1] [Songs:3] [Songs:3]
[Songs:1] [Songs:2] [Songs:2] [Songs:3] [Songs:1] [Songs:3]
[Songs:1] [Songs:2] [Songs:2] [Songs:3] [Songs:3] [Songs:1]
Not exactly sure whether I now included all different combinations, I really
suggest you figure that one out yourself. Indeed, there are only that many
combinations in total, so you could just write them all out and delete the
ones that your type of randomisation doesn't allow. Sure, takes a while, but
so does writing emails, asking for help, and indeed replying to them. Hope
this helps anyway.
Best,
Michiel