Timing issues

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Jun 14 15:22:54 UTC 2012

Kam,

Good, you worked through Chapter 3 of the User's Guide.  Next,
supplement that with my explanation of EP time audit measures at
http://groups.google.com/group/e-prime/browse_thread/thread/39e899d3457d4917?pli=1
.  Then you will see that your results are exactly what you should
expect.  In particular, regarding the points you want resolved:

(2) These all are about the same because, with PreRelease >=
Duration, execution of the object ends as soon as possible after it begins.

(3) ISI.DurationError  =  ISI.OffsetTime + ISI.PreRelease -
ISI.OnsetTime - ISI.Duration  =  t + 200 - t - 100  =  100.

(1) I don't know what makes your ISI.OnsetDelay drift "cyclical", but
the drift itself simply results from natural delays in starting
execution of ISI after ending exection of Stimulus.  Remember, a
PreRelease may help reduce OnsetDelays in the *following* object, it
has no such effect on the object that has the PreRelease.

That said, a few more comments:

- You correctly see that syncing with screen refresh almost never
makes sense for auditory stimuli (I don't think PST explains this
very well).  Corroborating this, the latest release of EP2
(2.0.10.182) now corrects the default value of Onset Sync to (none)
for SoundOut objects.

- You might think further about whether Event or Cumulative timing
mode makes the most sense for your project.

- To get links for the Critical Timing example programs, submit a
request to PST Web Support at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp .

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter:  @EPrimeMaster (twitter.com/EPrimeMaster)
-----

Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
take any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours -- this is pretty
much their substitute for proper documentation, so make full use of
it.  3) In addition, PST takes questions at their Facebook page
(http://www.facebook.com/pages/Psychology-Software-Tools-Inc/241802160683
), and offers several instructional videos there and on their YouTube
channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ) (no Twitter feed yet,
though).  4) If you do get an answer from PST staff, please extend
the courtesy of posting their reply back here for the sake of others.