LCD vs CRT for dot probe task

FrankBank grasszilla at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 05:07:46 UTC 2012

Hi, I've been researching the whole LCD vs CRT debate and I still am
confused.  I am putting together a simple dot probe task that will be
looking at very small response time differences so I am concerned with
getting it right.  I have two monitors to choose from:  A brand
spankin' new Dell P2210 LCD or an old (2002) Gateway EV700 CRT.  I'd
like any advice on which you'd recommend.  I will be using the most
recent version of Eprime running on a new Dell computer with windows
7. Here are the relevant specs:

**************Dell P2210 Specs*********************
Display Type:  LCD monitor / TFT active matrix
Diagonal Size: 22"
Viewable Size: 22"
Panel Type: TN
Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 16:10
Native Resolution: 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz
Pixel Pitch: 0.282 mm
Brightness: 250 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
Response Time: 5 ms
Horizontal Viewing Angle: 170
Vertical Viewing Angle: 160
Features: 83% color gamut, HDCP

*************Gateway EV700 (EV700AA on back) Specs***************
Gateway EV700 17-Inch SVGA Color Monitor
 17-inch diagonal with 15.9 inches viewable area
22.5 mm neck CRT
0.28 mm dot pitch
90° deflection
Resolution: 1,280 dots maximum horizontal
1,024 lines maximum vertical
Scanning Frequency:
Horizontal: 31 to 69 kHz
Vertical: 50 to 160 Hz
NOTE: I also found on gateways site the same model listed with
slightly different frequencies:
Scanning frequency:
Horizontal, 30 - 70 KHz (automatic)
Vertical, 50 - 120 Hz (automatic)
Also a link to some sort of timing table:
https://support.gateway.com/s/MONITOR/7003421/700342103.shtml

I'd really appreciate any advice on which I should choose (or if it
even matters?), thanks.