List counterbalancing by sujbect

liwenna liwenna at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 10:57:27 UTC 2012

And I'll propose just another method:

For this to work the group number should be available in an attribute
called group. I assume that you now use the startup info parameter 'group'
to assign group. Is that correct? In that case the following should work:

Remove seven of the eight levels of the masterlist (Grouplist). When you do
that, the group#lists from the removed levels are placed into the
'unreferenced objects' section of the experiment tree. Although this (to me
at least) feels like a 'trashbin', it can also function as a 'storage
place' and this is the way you'd want to use it now, so don't remove the
lists from the 'unreferenced objects' section. Alternatively you could not
even remove the last seven levels and simply set the list to exit after the
first level (in sequential mode) but I feel that that is a bit more
deceiving even than removing but still using certain lists.

Now at the beginning of your experiment procedure place an inline with the
following code:

****
dim n as integer

for n = 1 to 8

if c.getattrib ("group") = n then grouplist.SetAttrib 1, "nested", "group"&
n &"list"

next n

****

What it does: a loop is run for eight times. On each run it checks each
value of 1-8 to see whether the group variable (= group number) is 1, 2, 3
etc. If the value of group is the same as the value of n within that
specific loop, it replaces the nested list at the first (and only) level of
grouplist with the list called 'groupxlist' wherein x is the value of n and
therefore the value of the current participants group. Now each participant
group's videos (stored in the newly nested groupnlist) should be used.

Best,

liw