Random lists and orders, but with correspondence block1/block2

Catarina Azevedo catarina.melo.azevedo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 10:06:10 UTC 2012

Hi all!

I know how to work with E-prime in general but I never did scripts
with it. I have 3 questions and I hope you can help me on this.

I have a final list of 80 English and 80 Dutch words. I want each
participant to see 40 English and 40 Dutch words. All the Dutch words
are translations of the English words and these different languages of
the words are separated in two different blocks.The most important is
that the words appearing in the second block of presentation must be
the translations of the words in the first block (if they see
"happy"in the first they must see "blij"in the second).

This is the general idea. My questions are:

1- From the 80 Eng and the 80 Dutch words lists I want to take
randomly 40 words (of each) for each participant. The idea is that
instead of having 2 or more equivalent lists and counterbalanced them
for subject, I want each participant to see different combinations of
words, randomly assigned, in a different order of presentation. For
that is important to guarantee a) that all words will be seen by the
same number of participants and b) the words in the second block are
the translations of the ones of the first block.

2- From that 40 English (and Dutch) words they will be seen, I want to
specify that they will always see 10 of category A, 10 of category B,
10 of category C and 10 of category D.

3- If possible I do not want them to see more than 3 words of the same
category one after the other.

Thank you so much for your help

Catarina