Best input device regarding refresh rate

Michiel Sovijarvi-Spape mspape at cognitology.eu
Wed May 2 12:23:41 UTC 2012

Hi,

Three things:

1. You would like to carefully go through this page:
http://www.pstnet.com/eprimedevice.cfm - plenty of devices there, but
outdated information.

2. I find that, typically, psychological effects FAR outweigh timing jitter
in response devices; typically, one can easily get robust results even with
the world's worst timing in a system (you can get, for instance, solid Simon
test results in a flash-based timing on random equipment). One may wonder
about the importance of an effect if this is not the case, indeed, although
I suppose for the more motor oriented experiments (for instance, where you
would like to study standard deviation of sequential tapping), this might be
important.

3. The "buttons are hard to press issue" I find is incredibly underrated
because psychologists seem to concentrate on system timing and psychology,
but seldom that which lies in between (you might call it human-computer
interaction). How long does it take, between the start of the button press
and the button actually being down? How much motor noise do we find? Are
psychological effects sometimes confounded somewhere in between response
initiation and completion? I remember doing a standard finger tapping test
("press space bar as fast and often as possible within 10 seconds"), and
people got around 60-80 taps on average (IRI=148 ms), whereas it has been
norm-scored ages ago at about 50-60 (IRI=182). The difference, of some 34 ms
(roughly the size of a Simon effect) or 23%, seems to be far larger than
common RT timing issues. Was my group made up of fantastic tappers, or could
the difference really be as simple as using an (arggh) mac keyboard with
feather-light keys (the ones that stick out about 3 mm)? Now, if you think a
normal PC keyboard has heavy keys, try pressing a PST SRBOX button!

Anyway, hope you like my hints. In general, USB is preferred to PS/2. Legend
has it that USB2 may be better in this regard. Anyone can confirm this?

Best,

Michiel