how to measure the sound latency?

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Mon May 7 18:42:35 UTC 2012

HanGue,

Get an oscilloscope, a sound file with a sharp attack, and an E-Prime
computer with a simple digital output (e.g., a legacy parallel
port).  Use the E-Prime Onset/OffsetSignal facility to output a
signal to the digital I/O port at the onset of your SoundOut object
(see, e.g., Slide.OnsetSignalEnabled in the E-Basic Help facility).

Hook up your oscilloscope input to the audio output of the EP
computer, and the oscilloscope trigger to the digital I/O port.  Now
run your program to see the latency between object onset and sound onset.

As I understand it, this is pretty much what PST did, except they
used the Black Box Tool Kit which allowed them to automate this test
and rapidly collect repeated samples.  Perhaps you could contact PST
for details.

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training