Anyone using voice recognition for accuracy feedback?

Catherine Smith teachsmith at gmail.com
Wed May 16 13:50:59 UTC 2012

Hi Michiel,

We're doing this online, as we need vocal response feedback that is
comparable to motor response feedback. Our last hurdle is connecting
individual "dictation profiles" for each subject to the recognition
routine.

Subjects will train the system on their unique pronunciation of "yes"
and "no", which is easy to do. This creates a "voice profile" for the
subject. Hopefully with just a little code tweak we can use the unique
profile in the experiment.This will make the response detection much
more reliable. We're also still trying to perfect timing issues, but
we're optimistic that it will work well.

We're happy to hear that this will be useful for others. We'll share
it when we get it running!

Best,
Cathy

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Michiel Sovijarvi-Spape
<mspape at cognitology.eu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This would be incredible... but is it implemented in E-Prime? I think, there
> are two "systems" commonly used by the rest of us less tech-savvy
> psychologists.
>
> 1. Online: using a keyboard, the experiment supervisor sits in the lab and
> presses a "y" button for yes and "no" for no. In-cre-di-bly boring, I can
> tell you. The other system is where the supervisor codes directly whether an
> answer is accurate or not, but this introduces more errors as people tend to
> imitate voices (c.f. Spapé & Hommel, Psych Bulletin & Review, 2008!).
>
> 2. Offline: using newer E-Prime, you record whatever people say and only
> later on, go through hours and hours of audio "by hand" (or ear), and score
> music while doing so! It does take a bit more time, I find.
>

> Is your routine an offline or online automatic system?
>
> Sounds like a dream to many, anyway.
>
> Best,
>
> Michiel

Dr. Catherine L. Smith