Using a joystick as a response and defining correct response.

terhi helminen helminenterhi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 19:01:01 UTC 2012

Hi,

I have recently made a task where participant has to answer with joystick
(pulling it backward or forward).  The Inline code below helped me to make
an appropriate code, perhaps it helps you too...

(from
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/e-prime/joystick$20as$20response$20device/e-prime/ww6C02LZ8nY/qDT5rsZrerkJ
 )

----

Dim nInitY As Integer
Dim nCurrentY As Integer
Dim nDiff As Integer

nInitY = Joystick.CursorY

Do
   nCurrentY = Joystick.CursorY
   nDiff = nInitY - nCurrentY

Loop Until Abs(nDiff) > 50

Stimulus.RTTime = Clock.Read
Stimulus.RT = Stimulus.RTTime - Stimulus.OnsetTime

If nDiff > 0 Then
   Stimulus.RESP = "Up"
Else
   Stimulus.RESP = "Down"
End If
----
As I also wanted to give a feedback based on subjects answer, I used
contingent branching based on the response. (See the example in
http://www.pstnet.com/support/samples.asp?Mode=View&SampleID=3 )

Hope this helps!
- Terhi