Feedback and inline script

Meltem BALLAN meltemballan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 21:42:10 UTC 2012

I agree w/ Alphonse. You might also want to look closer to the E-Prime
Sample tasks. If I recall correctly there is a task with feedback and it
runs exactly like what you described below.
M.

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Alphonse Stickle <alphonse.stickle at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Google can be your friend ... much pages telling of components of VBA
> code, such as conditionals, to achieve syntax allowable. One offering:
>
>  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/752y8abs%28v=vs.80%29.aspx
>
>  <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/752y8abs(v=vs.80).aspx>At 03:45
> AM 9/11/2012, you wrote:
>
> Dear David
>
> I am a novice at this software and so is my supervisor. I have spent many
> weeks reading the manuals but still no help. Maybe you could enlighten me?
>
> I am planning on testing 2 groups and need 2 experiments for each feedback
> type (positive and negative) with various versions. I only need the correct
> answers to appear in the positive group and the incorrect and no response
> to be blank. The feedback icon within the E-prime 2.0 was used as my
> supervisor strongly suggested I use it but when I did use the feedback icon
> on its own without any inline scripting all keypresses (sd= same/different)
> were incorrect and all blank or no responses were correct.
>
> Now, I am not sure if I should pursue the route of inline script with the
> feedback icon or if I should just start over and use a different method.
>
> Any helpful comments would be much appreciated at this very moment in time.
>
> Thank you.
>

> > Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 11:32:32 -0500
> > To: e-prime at googlegroups.com
> > From: mcfarla9 at msu.edu
> > Subject: RE: Feedback and inline script
> >
> > Um, fearing to tread here because the offered code sample exhibits a
> > profound lack of understanding of computer programming which no doubt
> > augurs much further trouble to come, but here goes...
> >
> > The line
> >
> > If "TrialStimulus"="sd" then
> >
> > compares the string "TrialStimulus" to the string "sd" and that will
> > always be false, and certainly not what you meant to do. Then your
> > Else If clause performs exactly the same comparison, again certainly
> > not what you meant.
> >
> > So the code that you posted should always fall through to the Else
> > clause, which sets NoResponse to "Blank.bmp". I don't quite see how
> > that results in the behavior you describe, but perhaps that happens
> > due to other code that you did not post, and in any case your If,
> > Else If, Else is deeply flawed.
> >
> > If you do not yet understand the distinctions between variables and
> > literals, and how to use conditionals, then I urge you to first take
> > any Introduction to Computer Programming course before proceeding
> further.
> >
> > -- David McFarlane
> >

> > At 11/8/2012 11:09 AM Thursday, Gulshan Tahir wrote:
> > >Hi Susan
> > >
> > >Thank you I have tried that and now it works, wierd. But now I have
> > >another problem. All I receive are positive feedback for all 3
> > >response types (positive, negative and no response). Is there a way
> > >that I can maybe code it a little different so that no response and
> [...]

Meltem Ballan, PhD
Early Brain Development EEG Studies
Department of Psychiatry
School of Medicine
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
Phone:919-843-3793