Simple cumulative timing question

FrankBank grasszilla at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 23:28:57 UTC 2012

 Hi Scott, I'm just wondering where you saw in the E-prime documentation to
set the duration less than (rather than exactly) at some multiple of the
refresh rate?  Maybe I'll try doing that as well.  My (perhaps faulty)
understanding of the E-prime documentation is a little different.  I
thought what happens when you set the duration to less than an exact
multiple of the refresh cycle is that you end up with a percentage of your
trials displayed at the +1 refresh cycle and -1 refresh cycle that bounds
that chosen duration.

So, say you used 90 ms in your case.  Your upper bound refresh cycle is at
100ms and lower is at 100-16.7 = 83.3 ms.  The distance of your chosen
duration from these two points determines the percentage of trials that
will be of either the lower or higher duration.  So then:
90 - 83.3 = 6.7 ms.  Then divide that by the refresh cycle: 6.7/16.7 =
40%.  Since it is  40% of the distance between refresh cycles you'd end up
with 40% of your trials at 100 ms and 60% at the low end of 83.3 ms.  If
you used 95 ms instead you'd get 95 - 83.3 = 11.7 and 11.7/16.7 = 70% so
70% of your trials would be 100 ms in duration and 30% at 83.3 ms.  That is
how i read it anyways, would be very interested to hear others thoughts!