Simple cumulative timing question

Scott saultsj at missouri.edu
Sun Nov 11 19:35:52 UTC 2012

Sorry if I wasn't sufficiently clear. This adjustment is ONLY done for *
EVENT* timing.  In fact, what I'm asking about is how to take this into
account, exactly what to do, when using a mixture of event and cumulative
timings. Based on your response, I still might be saying something wrong --
if so, I'm sorry to to be unclear. I really thought that this ~10 ms
'adjustment' was obvious in the documentation, though I also know that the
documentation is old and could be outdated, and one cannot always just
following anyone's advice, even PST's. What I'm referring to is printed in
bold in the *E-Prime User’s Guide Chapter 3: Critical Timing* (page 99):
The equation to use for determining what stimulus duration to specify in
E-Prime is as follows:
*Stimulus Duration to Specify = (Refresh Duration ms/cycle * Number of
cycles) - 10ms*
Part of the reason for doing this, as I understand it, is because one can
never assume that  the refresh rate will ever be exactly 60 hz (or anything
else).

This is what I meant to say, but maybe I did not, because the documentation
that I have seen seems pretty explicit about this, for *EVENT* timing (in
fact they explain this for most of 2 pages of Chapter 3). Now that I have
hopefully clarified what I was *trying* to say, please tell me: Has this
recommendation changed? If so, someone *please* explain and set me
straight. I usually have done this (except in certain circumstances),
starting with E-Prime 1 and continuing with E-Prime 2. Maybe you have more
current documentation, FrankBank. What do you see for actual OTO timings in
your data when you have used *EVENT* timing mode, across several hundred
trials or so when setting a 100 ms stimulus duration for 100 ms? If it
always works like that (with no extra refresh cycles), then I suppose
there's no reason to do it differently.