matching picture with sound and varying order

newbie mkclairhong at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 18:35:31 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

For my experiment, I have picture-sound matching pairs and each trial asks
for the sentence that corresponds to the picture-sound pair.
I have three trials and for each trial, the sequence of the pair differs (I
did not randomize the order since I wanted all the participants to be
exposed to the sound and picture in the same order).

For each trial, the participants are asked to revise the sentence they've
written before.
However, this is where the problem keep rises.

While the response that corresponds to the right pair should come out in
the order that I've set, the response for the first picture would still
come out at the first slide.
For example, if picture A sound A pair is the first pair that will be shown
in the first trial, this pair will be shown at the 5th slide for the second
trial and 18th for the third trial.
However, the answer that the participant wrote for the pair will still
appear at the first slide for second and third trial.

My codings were

For the second trial:

Dim Sent2 as string
Sent2 = Encoding1List.GetAttrib(2, "IntegrationResp")

'x=0'
'i=x+1'
If "OriginalOrder" = "i" Then
c.SetAttribatsource "Sentence", Sent2
End if

For the third trial:

Dim Sent3 as string
Sent3 = Encoding2List.GetAttrib (3, "Integration2Resp")

'x=0'
'i=x+1'
If "OriginalOrder" = "i" Then
c.SetAttribatsource "Sentence", Sent3
End if

On the list of sound and picture pair for each trial, there is a column
called "OriginalOrder" and it indicates the number of its order at the
first trial. (so the original order for the first trial goes 1,2,3,....80
as a sequence but the second one goes 54,22,29,... saying that it's the
54th picture-sound pair shown at the first trial)

I'm so close to be done but this problem is keeping me from finishing the
project. Please let me know if anyone has any idea how to solve this
problem!

Thanks,
Clair