Canvas questions to load images

Corona shunyata.aishwarya at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 14:39:07 UTC 2012

I am currently running a dot probe task with visual paired stimuli
(positive, negative). I have a two fold question pertaining to this task:

1) I have about 60 images in one of my trialprocs, and was therefore
advised to use the canvas option to preload images. I have had little
success with using this object, particularly because I do not entirely
understand the concepts of off-screen and on-screen canvas. I have managed
to write a small script with help from the references guides posted on the
e-prime website (as well as forums), but am stuck when it comes to the
following statement:

1.      When preparing the trial:

targetCanvas.LoadImage stim

*Image is loaded to the top left corner. We need to define 2 Rect Objects:
StimLoadRect and StimRect (see Rect object in the E-Basic Help), both the
size of the images to-be-loaded, but the StimRect at the (Left,Right,
Top,Bottom) coordinates where the stimulus will be displayed. When we copy
the image from the offline canvas to the online canvas, we will copy from
StimLoadRect to StimRect.*

2.      To run the stimulus:

Display.WaitForVerticalBlank

c.setAttrib "StimOnset", clock.read

cnvs.copy targetCanvas, stimLoadRect, stimRect

sleep(stimDuration)

Display.WaitForVerticalBlank

Cnvs.clear ' or something else that erases the stimulus, can be done in the
following trial

*Bolded lines: *How do I create a stimLoadRect and stimRect image, a is
asked for? (I did find a script for creating a rect object, but am unsure
of how to specify dimensions).

I assume that pre-defining images and their locations, means I do not have
to specify them as a SlideObject? (I am guessing I am completely wrong here
- please feel free to correct me) . I would also assume that the
stimDuration, must be defined as an attribute?

Assuming I do not have to go through this convoluted path, I have another
question. If I could pre-load using the SlideImage and ImageDisplay
options, I am not sure how to specify the co-ordinates of where I want my
image to be in the properties section. I know this appears elementary, but
the actual size of the images are 424 X 283, but when running, part of the
images are cut off. When I looked at the properties of my slide object, I
had set the width at 25% . I assumed this was the co-ordinate location in
relation to the actual screen size. Guessing that this was an error on my
part, I reset the width to 100%, but that meant that when I looked at the
slideobject (with the dotted grid), one image seemed to complete cover the
other image. How do I fit both images, and make sure their dimensions
remain the same?

I apologize for this rant. I only recently switched to e-prime from using
Inquisit, and am still trying to get a hang of this software tool.

Thanks a ton for your reply,

Corona