Response accuracy unreliable because {SHIFT} logged as response

HFAC bgbellows at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 18:11:33 UTC 2013

Hello all,

Thank you for your advice in advance. To introduce myself, I use EPrime to
develop my experiments because I have no experience coding (a shame I
know), so please keep that in mind when responding. So far, I have only
used the built in functions of EPrime.

*My Experiment*: I have developed an experiment where participants see a
stimuli and participants are expected to answer using a series of (capital)
X, I, V, or -, +, and =. (For example: X=V+I) The participants have 2
minutes to come up with correct answer and they may try as many answers as
they would like until they find the correct one. I have set the experiment
up where if the participant enters an answer and it is incorrect they
cannot continue but if they enter the correct response they will receive
feedback that they are correct and can continue to the next puzzle.

*My Problem*: I cannot get Eprime to recognize the correct response (for
example: X=V+I) because when participants capitalize their responses EPrime
records {SHIFT}. I have tried making the correct response
{SHIFT}X{=}{SHIFT}V{+}{SHIFT}I. This method is not reliable because
participants hit shift a variable number of times (when making mistakes,
etc.) so there is no way for me to predict the number of shifts in their
answer.

Please let me know if you need additional information in order to help me.