Problem drawing random images from nested lists

Abigail Dawson ajdawson57 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 03:28:38 UTC 2013

Hello,

I am running a paradigm where I want two images to show side by side on the
same slide, one neutral and one either positive or negative, and I want to
balance which side the images appear on (e.g. neutral is on the left half
the time). In order to do this I have created a slide with 2 slide states,
and a trial list with 36 trials, half of those with each slide state, and
half of each slide state with "positive" as the "other" image and half with
"negative". The images (positive, negative, and neutral) are drawn from
three nested lists (neutral has 36 images, positive 18, negative 18).

My problem is that although every list is set to sample randomly (without
replacement), with the full number of samples per cycle (18 or 36), and I
have no repeats in my lists, some images are repeating. I have tried it
with "reset at the beginning of each run" both checked and unchecked.

I tried this originally using only one slide with "leftimage" and
"rightimage" as the images, which were specified in the trial list as
"posimage", "neutimage", etc, but the same problem occurred.

Thanks!
Abi