Vocal RT without SRBox

Cognitology mspape at cognitology.eu
Tue Feb 26 12:55:05 UTC 2013

Hi,

Please correct me if I’m wrong, anyone, but although there *is* in E-Prime 2
a soundcapture device, with which you can record audio for your experiment,
there is no way to use this as an alternative to the SRBox voicekey input.

However, you can still do what you want by using the soundcapture, to save
the wave file for each trial (try to save the sound as a trial number or
some such so that you know what condition it was in), and then get the
reaction time from that. The hard way to do that would be to use any audio
editor (I like cool edit, but audacity works), and see when a reaction is
given. This is possible but will take a number of hours to work. If you know
a little matlab, an alternative would be to do some signal processing and
just detect for a threshold, which shouldn’t be too hard (find RT as time(dB
> threshold)).

If you only have E-Prime 1, you could just record the whole experiment and
have loud sounds as a synchrony marker.

I’ve noticed before that any voicekey type of experiment requires roughly
the same amount of extra time of processing as (duration of experiment) x
(number of subjects), though!

Cheers,

Michiel