Pairing a background image to a stimulus

Dan Marino strider454 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 19:06:12 UTC 2013

Hey everyone,

So I'm fairly new to E-prime and I've ran into a problem. The experiment I
am setting up currently has various permutations of a cue and stimulus
(which are just the background images with extra things attached) that can
be presented however they all start from one of 4 specific background
images. A vertical image, a horizontal image, a wide vertical image and a
wide horizontal image. From each of these there are about 50 or so
permutations. The problem that I am running into is that I do not know how
to force E-Prime to show the background image that corresponds to the cue
and stimulus. They way I have it set up right now, it will randomly choose
one of each (background, cue and stimulus) leading to a huge mismatch of
images. I was able to set up the cues and stimuli to randomize within each
image set however I do not know how to make it so that the background image
is tied to the cue and stimuli..

I realize that was probably hard to understand so if there is anyway I can
make it clearer, I will try to do so.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Dan Marino