triggering syringe pump network

Paul Groot pfc.groot at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 15:57:06 UTC 2013

I'm  a bit confused with the terminology here: this type of pump is
connected using a serial RS232 connection, which is normally not referred
as a network (like in Ethernet network). However, I assume that several
pumps can be 'daisy chained', to form a kind of chain which is called a
'network' by the manufacturer.

Anyway, RS232 connections can be managed by using a 'Serial' device, which
can be added in the devices tab of the Experiment settings. Baudrate and
other setting should correspond  to the device settings. It is important to
select the right COM port number. You should check which port number was
assigned to the (virtual) USB to RS232 device (using the device manager of
windows). Normally each USB port will be assigned a different number, so
you will have to keep that in minds when inserting the cable in one of the
USB ports. The next thing to do is to create some inline script to programm
the communication. Functions you typically would use are
SerialDevice.WriteString, SerialDevice.WriteBytes etc. (Check the EBasic
guide for more details) The communication protocol depicts exactly what
information should be sent and read so you should read the relevant chapter
from manual carefully. Often, it is possible to use a so called terminal
emulator to simply enter the ASCII commands by hand to test which strings
should be sent. (This would only be possible if the communication is
completely ASCII-based and doesn't use complex handshaking or checksum
stuff). First try to interface with a single pump. Then connect both and
make sure they have a unique address assigned to them.

If you're not familiar with programming RS232 protocols, this might be
quite challenging. If the device offers a digital TTL interface for
triggering, this would probably be  much easier to program. However, TTL
interfaces are less flexible in most cases.

best
Paul