Timing issues - Serial Response Box

Vaaal valerio.biscione at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 11:42:16 UTC 2013

Hello to everyone,

I am struggling to get accurate reaction time without starting put my hand
in engineering stuff, since I don't have the required knowledge to do like
that.
I would like to buy a Serial Response Box, but the technical details in the
page are really not enough. I am particularly worried about the serial port
connection.
I know that the pooling rate of the usb port is normally 125 hz, that is 8
milliseconds. I am able to overclock that value in order to have a pooling
rate of 1000Hz, which is 1 milliseconds, which is quite fine. But, I am
still not sure of the accuracy of my measurement, just because using a
normal keyboard can add some latency in the process of transmitting
information.  This is why I am willing to buy a professional device.

The problem is that I don't know the technical specification of a serial
port. There is anything similar to a pooling rate of a serial port? If it
is so, how much it is, and there is any way to overclock it? Basically how
much accurate is the response box?

The other option is to use DirectIN High Speed Button-Box here
http://www.empirisoft.com/directin.aspx, which actually uses a USB port
that I can overclock. BUT since I use E-Prime I would like to buy a piece
of hardware that is designed to be used with E-Prime, just to avoid
unnecessary headache in the future.

So generally my question is: what are the limit and the advantages of
having a serial port? Do you think that the Serial Response Box is really 1
ms accurate? Do you use any other equipment?

Thank you for your reply,
Valerio