Timing issues - Serial Response Box

Vaaal valerio.biscione at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 13:27:24 UTC 2013

Hi Paul, thank you for your reply.
I am totally not stuck with USB. Actually the machine that I am going to
use has a serial port. I just wanted to be sure that the pooling rate with
the serial port and in general the latency is better than with usb port. In
this case I read from the e-prime file that the latency is around 1.73 with
a low standard deviation, which should work fine for my purposes.

The problem with normal keyboard is that I usually record what I call
"movement time". This is the time between the releasing of a button until
the pressing of a second button. These two buttons are really close, so the
reaction times are low. Since the keyboard pooling rate is about 125Hz (8
milliseconds), I found out that all my movement times are multiply of 8
millisecond. This means also that they are all even. As you can imagine,
this outcome is hardly acceptable in any journal.
Plus, since I am performing RT experiment in really short latencies, I
would like to use a more professional equipment that a simple keyboard, at
least because I want to know how much error I am putting in the measurement.
So I suppose that after all the Serial Response Box is the best choice.
Thank you very much,
Valerio