Timing issues - Serial Response Box

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Wed Jul 31 14:21:35 UTC 2013

Valerio,

In this context, "baud" refers to bits-per-second
while transmitting data (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baud ).  "CPS" here
stands for characters-per-second, which in this
case means bytes-per-second.  So every 1000/800 =
1.25 ms the SRBox sends one byte of data (each of
8 bits indicating the state of one switch), with
1000/19200 = 52 µs for transmitting each bit within that byte.

For our purpose, the baud rate is irrelevant as
long as it is fast enough to handle the CPS, so
the CPS is all we care about.  Note that, once
started, the SRBox transmits data continuously at
800 CPS, which means that the latency from
response to transmission will be 0-1.25 ms
(depending on when the response happens within
that 1.25 ms window).  While that much
uncertainty results from the design alone, other latencies may also occur.

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter:  @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster)

/----
Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2)
PST's trained staff take any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp
, and they strive to respond to all requests in
24-48 hours, so make full use of it.  3) In
addition, PST offers several instructional videos
on their YouTube channel
(http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ).  4) If you
do get an answer from PST staff, please extend
the courtesy of posting their reply back here for the sake of others.
\----