how to display 20 stimuli, then give break, then continue on with next 20, then give break, etc.

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Mar 8 15:13:30 UTC 2013

This question comes up from time to time, see, e.g.,
http://groups.google.com/group/e-prime/browse_thread/thread/2efc8e169cba7ef8
.  PST's "Insert A Pause" InLine If-Then method is popular.  My own
favorite method is to put all the stimuli into one nested List (set
to Sequential or Random order, as appropriate), make the break into a
separate Procedure, and then in the main running List put the
sequence of trial and break Procedures, running in Sequential
order.  Something like

Weight  Nested    Procedure
------  --------  ---------
     20  StimList  TrialProc
      1            RestProc
     20  StimList  TrialProc
      1            RestProc
     20  StimList  TrialProc

We do this in one of the exercises in my online E-Prime course.  Note
that this method does not require any inline code, it merely takes
advantage of the features provided by E-Prime.  Nested Lists are
wonderful -- please also see the Nested Lists tutorial in Appendix C
of the User's Guide that came with E-Prime.

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx