NTP and TET servers -- Linking EEG and eyetracking

Caitlin caitlin.hudac at gmail.com
Wed May 8 21:57:24 UTC 2013

Hi there,
I've also posted this to the PST forum -- trying to cast a wide net!
Appreciate your ideas:

I am installing our new eye tracking system (Tobii TX300). I'd like to use
a one-computer system (i.e., 1 computer to both run EPrime and Tobii). This
would be ideal for us, because we plan on also sending events from EPrime 2
-> NetStation 4.4 (EEG acquisition software). I've run into an interesting
conundrum: When I try to run the Tobii Eprime samples, it immediate throws
an error, asking for the NTP server. Now, this is without the NetStation
package being added to the EPrime experiment. If I open the Mac and start a
NetStation session, this permits the EPrime to start the experiment (no NTP
error). However, the TET server throws an error:

Routine: TET_Connect()
Error Script: 2
Error Text: Failed to communicate with server. Disconnected.
TET support will now be disabled.
The eye tracking connection will be closed and further errors will be
suppressed.

I'm a baffled. I've entered the correct server information
(serverID.local.) is entered into the IP Address/Name box for the TobiiEye
Tracker Device Properties. The other options I left to the default (Port =
4455, Sync mode=Local, Max count =4096).  I've pinged the server from the
command prompt, and it the PC and Tobii are connected just fine. So this
all comes down to a few questions:

1. Why is EPrime requiring the NTP server when running an experiment
without the NTP package or devices? Is there a clock setting that needs to
be changed after adding the Tobii EPrime Extensions pack?
2. What is going on with the TET server? I'm out of ideas for
troubleshooting. I've tried restarting the systems in different orders;
I've double checked the serverID values, successfully ping the Tobii before
running experiment, etc.

I really appreciate your help! cheers,
-Caitlin
UNL, Graduate student