coding a dual task with musical stimuli

pauline narme paulinenarme at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 15:55:09 UTC 2013

Hi,

I would like some tips to code a dual task. My experiment is a memory task
with an encoding condition in divided attention.
More precisely, subjects have to listen to musical excerpts (mean duration
around 10 sec) while they have to respond to a series of trials involving
responding to digits.
I followed the dual task sample available on the PST website and did
exactly the same (i.e. "The start time is determined at the beginning of
the trial. The object presenting the word has a Duration value of zero
msec. This displays the word, then immediately begins presentation of the
digit task. The duration of the word is set as an attribute in the
WordList, but the actual run-time duration is monitored by the digit
trial"s)

However, although the task is running without error, I can hear any sound.
This is probably due to the duration value of zero msec of the sound
"object", but if I change this value, this is not a dual task anymore since
the sound is first heard THEN digits appeared.

Looking forward to read some help.

Thanks,

Pauline