Equidistant colors

Tobias tobias.fw at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 17:27:53 UTC 2013

Dear all,

This is not directly connected to E-Prime, but since some people are
presumbly real experts in psychophysics here, I would like to ask anyway
and I hope I can get some hints here.

I would like to conduct an attention experiment in which I need to have 9
colors. These should be "equidistant". That is, they should be equally
salient on a black background.

The first thing I cam eup with was to use the HSV color space and varied
the H value from 0 to 239 with equal distance while keeping the S and V
value fixed.
The outcome is quite disappointing. The colors seem to be not comparable at
all, some seem brighter, some darker and the subjective distance
('similarity') was rather variable.

Does anyone have a good idea how to choose 9 color that are equidistant?

Thanks a lot,
Tobias