OnsetDelay and resolution problem?

Vaaal valerio.biscione at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 19:07:30 UTC 2013

Hi David,
thank you for your reply.

Today I keep trying to solve it and finally I did it!! I am so happy about
that :D

So, if anyone had the same problem, this is the reason why this happens and
the solution. It's extremely easy and trivial.

The reason why with high resolution the onsetDelay is big it's because
E-Prime has to "draw" more pixels. But if in your slide you just have a
little stimulus in the middle (example a little black X, with a white
background) you don't actually have to draw ALL the slide, but just some
portion around the middle of the screen. To do that, I just had to adjust
the value Height and Width of the Slide (to something like 10% and 10%). In
this way a new slide will be put in front of the previous one, but the
slide will be small and e-prime will not waste time drawing pixels that are
the same as the previous slide. Since all my previous slides are white in
the background, this works like a charm. In this way the software has to
draw less pixel, and the onsetdelay decrease dramatically: I reached, with
the right value of Duration (multiple of 1000/refreshHz) a onsetDelay of
0!!!
You may have some problem if your slide have different backgrounds, but I
assume that, knowing how it works, there is probably some way to go around
the problem.

David, thank you again for your help.

Hope this is helpful.

Valerio