Help with finding a compatible headset microphone for E-Prime SRbox

Michiel Sovijärvi-Spape mspape at cognitology.eu
Mon Apr 7 16:33:10 UTC 2014

Hi,

If I remember correctly, one needs a microphone with pre-amp; I suspect you might well get good results with even a fairly low quality headset microphone – we’re not really talking high fidelity audio capture here, as long as the signal is higher than the noise. That’s of course the issue with soft-speaking participants: if their breathing is about as loud as their voice, it’s not going to become brilliant even if you tweak the sensitivity of the SRBOX (there’s a thing or two about in our E-Primer). Another thing that’s often only clear once you’re halfway through your experiment, is that the onset of vocal audio differs drastically depending on the word; so if you have a Stroop test,

“Purple”, has a nice, loud onset with the popping P sound (annoying for audio engineers), whereas might only register at the “D”.

Well, it’s been a while since I last did anything with the voicekey, please do let us know what your experiences are!

Best,

Michiel Spapé