Trigger with Usb-to-serial port cable (rs232) with FTDI chipset

Julia Shin jshin at psych.udel.edu
Wed Apr 9 20:29:07 UTC 2014

Hi all,

So I was fishing through all trigger-related questions in this group, but I
have yet to find a solution that would help me with my problem :( I am also
a newbie in running trigger so I apologize in advance if my questions look
really easy...

So I am trying to run an experiment with a desktop computer that would send
a trigger signal to another computer telling the other computer to play *a
sound file* when the signal is sent. Basically the gist of the experiment
is that we want the other computer to play a sound file which is a mp3 file
of a metronome (120 bpm) while the main computer sends stimulation to the
participant and collecting their responses. We can easily do this by
playing the metronome sound file in mp3 player but we want to control when
the stimulation would happen in accordance with the metronome sound so I
think that is why we want to go with the trigger option.

   - My first questions is: for the receiving end of the computer do I have
   to have the E-Prime experiment up and running to receive the signal from
   the main computer?

   - Second question: I used Serial.WriteString SoundOut1.Play (or run) and
   Serial.ReadString SoundOut1.Play (or run) but E-Prime kept saying Play/Run
   was not a property of the object. What syntax do I have to use to signal
   the other computer to play the sound file? And what syntax do I have to use
   for receiving signal from the main computer to run the sound file when
   prompted? Is this why my E-prime keeps crashing whenever I tried to run the
   e-prime experiment for signal receiving computer? I added Serial to
   Device option in Experiment tab in E-Prime with correct com port and baud
   rate. Though, is it common to have different com port number for the main
   computer and the receiving computer?

So here is the syntax for Serial.WriteString that is placed in InLine that
is placed in the beginning of the experiment:

Dim strData As String
strData = "SoundOut1.Play"
Serial.WriteString strData

Then here is the syntax for Serial.ReadString. I just copied this straight
from the BasicSerial.es sample in PSTNET:

' Just hold the experiment here until some bytes
' arrive over the serial port.
Dim str As String
Dim n As Long

Debug.TimeStampsEnabled = True
Do While Serial.InputCount = 0
Loop

' Read the data that came in
n = Serial.ReadString(str)

   - Third question: Does the trigger syntax for usb-to-serial port cable
   differ from trigger syntax for serial port? I thought they would be the
   same but I just want to confirm that there is no problem with the cable
   here. When I plugged in the cable, both receiving and main computers
   installed the drivers and I didn't see any warning signs saying that the
   cables were not working properly.

Sorry that I am asking hundred questions at the same time. But I would
greatly appreciate your help...I went through the FAQ page relating to
trigger on PSTNET but they mostly seem to have helpful answers for parallel
ports.

Thank you!
Best,
Julia Shin