define slide images inline - need to clear after each trial?

jotaylor2306 at gmail.com jotaylor2306 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 14:57:11 UTC 2014

Hi there,
I have a spelling task in which participants listen to a 3 phoneme word
(consonant-vowel-consonant) and must select which 3 (from an array of 16)
symbols spell that word, in the correct order.
They should see each selection appear on the screen, and after all 3
symbols have been selected they should see the correctly spelled word
alongside their own selections and receive correct/incorrect feedback.
They are spelling them in a new script they have learned so I can't use
keyboard input as they are not Latin letters.

I have programmed the task by having each trial contain 4 slide objects:
stimslide1. Shows the array of symbols - same layout each trial
stimslide2. Shows the array of symbols - plus the symbol they selected on
Slide 1
stimeslide3.  Shows the array of symbols - plus the symbols they selected
on Slide 1 and Slide 2
stimslide4. Shows the array of symbols - plus the symbols they selected on
Slides 1, 2, and 3. And also shows the correctly spelled word and a text
object saying whether their spelling was correct or incorrect.

The inline code I have used to determine which slide image they selected
(which is placed after stimstlide1 in the trialproc) is pasted below.

The problem I am having is that after trial 1, the image selections from
the previous trial are displayed very briefly (i.e. they flash up) before
the image selections from the current trial.
I am aware that I must need to clear the images from each trial, but can't
figure out how to do so. I have the line  Set s1Image = Nothing as this
seems to be good practice but tbh I am not sure what it does as this doesnt
do what I would want it to do!

I have also tried adding an inline at the end of the trialproc that says
s1Image.clear but I got a runtime error (Object variable or With block
variable not set).

Could someone please tell me the proper way to clear images from trial to
trial?
Thanks,
Jo

'This section determines which image they clicked on.
nCurrentResponse=0
bContinue=True

While bContinue<>False

If stimslide1.InputMasks.Responses.Count<>nCurrentResponse Then
nCurrentResponse=nCurrentResponse+1

Set
theMouseResponseData=CMouseResponseData(stimslide1.InputMasks.Responses(nCurrentResponse))
If Not theMouseResponseData Is Nothing Then
strHit=stimslide1State.HitTest(theMouseResponseData.CursorX,theMouseResponseData.CursorY)

If strHit<>"" Then

Set theSlideImage=CSlideImage(stimslide1State.Objects(strHit))
If Not theSlideImage Is Nothing Then

bContinue=False

' this creates an attribute called LocChose1 that contains the Name of the
Image they selected which is the same as its actual file name.
c.SetAttrib "LocChose1", strHit

If c.GetAttrib("LocChose1") = c.GetAttrib("Correct1") Then
 CountAcc=CountAcc+1
End If

End If
End If
End If
End If

' This section tells the programme to display the image they clicked on on
the next slide (stimslide2) in the image called "Selection1" which by
default is set to be a blank bmp file.
Dim  slImage as SlideImage

  Set slImage =
CSlideImage(stimslide2.States("Default").Objects("Selection1"))

' This retrieves the LocChose1 attribute which was the image they selected
and adds the file extension so that the image can be displayed
slImage.Filename  = c.GetAttrib("LocChose1")  & ".tif"
slImage.Load
stimslide2.Draw
        Set s1Image = Nothing

Sleep 100