Eprime triggers to EEG out of sync

Michiel Sovijärvi-Spapé mspape at cognitology.eu
Sun Aug 31 18:03:34 UTC 2014

Hi Ryan, et al.,

What is “this post”? AFAIK, most people have successfully sent triggers using E-Prime (that’s probably why there are few messages suggesting anything else!), accurately timed, and indeed, the number of publications with EEG and E-Prime must be in the hundreds by now. I have never had a problem with out of sync triggers myself. In general, you always set triggers, and the software used for recoding is insignificant – of course you can change them with MATLAB (using whatever toolbox, e.g. SPM, EEGLAB), but that doesn’t change timing. In general, any EEG amp worth its salt will come with dedicated E-Prime packaged – find them on their website. In other words: post-hoc labelling isn’t an alternative: it’s just a way that you change “124” – the byte sent over parallel port, for instance, to “Stimulus Onset, VERB”.

In general, I use two types of triggers:

*Timing critical: particularly onset of the stimulus. You can use the “.onsetsignalenabled” (not sure about the exact phrase, being out of office at the moment) and so on for that (search here or elsewhere). Only needs to be a bit – the stimulus is ON NOW. This you need to code before the stimulus X happens (e.g. X.onsetsignalenabled). E-Prime then ensures the trigger is sent at the time the monitor refreshes, rather than at some other odd moment that isn’t related to the stimulus.

*Timing non-critical: data, in other words. I send loads of data nowadays with the following:

Writeport outport, 254

Sleep 1 ‘sleep is necessary because triggers can overwrite one another.

 ‘…Then start writing all sorts of more bytes

For i = 2 to 100,

                Writeport outport, i

                Sleep 1

                Writeport outport, 0 ‘to avoid problems with repetitions.

                Sleep 1

Next i

‘ Ending with

Writeport outport, 255

(search for outport elsewhere).

The deal is that afterwards, you concatenate the data in between (the …then start writing bit, here resulting in trigger values 2 to 100 being send), so that basically, you can afterwards always recode the Timing critical event using the triggers that precede it.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Michiel