Playing movie in E-Prime: possible codec solution

Catherine Ortner cnmortner at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 20:59:05 UTC 2014

Hi everyone

I just joined the google groups so I could a) thank everyone for their
my own final solution.

I spent countless hours trying to play my mp4 video in E-Prime - got it to
work at home with Windows 8 and ffdshow, but could not get it to work in
the office/lab with Windows 7. I tried ffdshow, shark007 (which I would not
advise in Windows 7 -  since installing, and then uninstalling it, I am no
longer able to open Codec Config; I later found some information online
suggesting that it makes changes to the registry that do not change back
even when it is uninstalled), and other codec packages as suggested by
E-Prime support (who were extremely responsive and helpful in suggesting
different ways to solve my problem), but to no avail. I also tried saving
my video as a different format (mpg) but it still would not play.

Finally, one of the IT support staff at my institution suggested that I try
the Combined Community Codec pack, which contains "all codecs known to man"
(or words to that effect). I googled it, downloaded it and then I could
play my video in E-Prime (even though Codec Config would still not open -
the only way I've found to fix the Codec Config problem is to reinstall
windows).

I just wanted to put that solution out there to others who may have been
similarly frustrated with codec problems when trying to get videos to play
in E-Prime.

Cheers,
Catherine Ortner