Changing the colour of only few stimuli but not others

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Feb 13 19:01:39 UTC 2014

Tabs,

If you want to keep each cue shape associated
with a particular color, then you should use a
single List with columns for shape and color.  If
you want to run through a number of known
combinations, then you should still use a single
List with two columns, and put in all your
desired combinations.  If you want to freely mix
up cue shape vs. color, then you should use one
nested List each for shape and color.

My online course takes you through an exercise
where you practice all of these List techniques,
but you may also learn more about nested Lists by
doing the nested Lists tutorial in Appendix C of
the User's Guide that came with E-Prime ("The
E-Primer" from Michiel Spapé et al makes another
fine reference, http://step.psy.cmu.edu/materials
).  For that matter, you owe it to yourself (and
others) to first work diligently through all the
tutorials in all the manuals that came with
E-Prime.  Even more generally, much of the advice
at https://groups.google.com/d/topic/e-prime/VCXgOWjKtCg still holds.

Regards,
-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter:  @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster )

/----
Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2)
PST's trained staff take any and all questions at
https://support.pstnet.com , and they strive to
respond to all requests in 24-48 hours, so make
full use of it.  3) In addition, PST offers
several instructional videos on their YouTube
channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET
).  4) If you do get an answer from PST staff,
please extend the courtesy of posting their reply
back here for the sake of others.
\----