Installing 2.0.8 and 2.0.10 at the same time

JACanterbury jacanterbury at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 12:31:21 UTC 2014

Not a question, but some information in case it's of use to anyone.

Although the PST website (ticket 5345)<http://www.pstnet.com/support/kb.asp?TopicID=5345>
says

*Can E-Prime 2.0.8.x and E-Prime 2.0.10.x be installed at the same time? *
No, only major version installations can be installed at the same time.
However, multiple versions of the E-Prime 2.0 Subject Station installation
can coexist on the same lab machine. KB5325 - FEATURE: Suite, Subject
Station, and Run-Time detect other installations on machine (multiple
Subject Station versions allowed)<http://www.pstnet.com/support/kb.asp?TopicID=5325>

I thought I'd try anyway as I need to support both versions as a programmer.

It turns out that you *CAN* have E-Studio 2.0.8 and 2.0.10 co-existing on
the same machine at the same time.

This is what I did:

   1. install 2.0.8
   2. rename the install directory e.g. from c:\program files (x86)\pst to c:\program
   files (x86)\pst-2-0-8
   3. uninstall E-Prime (control panel / programs and features)
   4. install 2.0.10

Notes:

- the installed shortcuts from the Windows Start menu will be for the
lastest version, you'll need to create additional shortcuts to the other
version

- when you switch from using one version to the other, you'll be prompted
to relicence but this on ly takes a second - This seems to be the only
irritation.

- This seems fine for E-studio development work but I wouldn't run any
actual live experiments on a system setup like this as I'm not quite sure
what versions of drivers the 'other' version might be picking up

- if you want to install e-prime into a different folder, e.g. on your D:
drive, select the 'custom' install as this then gives you the option to
change the installation directory/folder

hth

John