Lab Computer recommendations.

Cognitology mspape at cognitology.eu
Mon Mar 24 09:24:41 UTC 2014

Hi,

My 2p:

·         Get a CRT anyway and let all of us know where you can still find these precious machines!

·         For E-Prime, I have not found much use of any graphics card apart from the on-board ones. The point is that a lot of it goes to gaming stuff, like keeping textures in memory and rendering them quickly on a 3d plane, or fancy visual effects, like blurring and the Vista/Win7 glass effects. Timing wise, I suspect my 1 GB win xp machine with cheap video card in the lab can probably beat quite a few “modern lab computers”, with experiments.

To get the shiny stuff, maybe you can convince people you’ll do lots of online matlabs processing for BCIs, use 3D engines, explore virtual reality, and so on. My suggestion is to keep your old equipment as well – it’s particularly useful to do “old-school” experiments on a very clean computer especially if it comes to critically timed EEG recordings.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Michiel