Randomizing Blocks

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu May 1 18:50:41 UTC 2014

I may not completely understand this, but will take a whack at
it.  So you have 15 trial items, and you want to present these in a
shuffled order across 3 blocks with 5 of these items per block.

I might start with a Structure like this:

- BlockList
     - BlockProc
         - TrialList
             - TrialItemList
             - TrialProc
                 - ...

I would set up my BlockList to run the 3 blocks of
BlockProc.  TrialList would run 5 trials of TrialProc, pulling its
trial items from the nested TrialItemList, which contains all 15
trial items.  I would set TrialItemList to run in Random order (and
make sure that it does *not* reset at beginning of each run) (also
make sure that TrialItemList does not use any Procedure).  Now
TrialItemList would get shuffled once, and TrialList will take one
item from the shuffled TrialItemList for each run of TrialProc,
automatically keeping track of where it left off and where to pick up
again for each block.

In general, just think of Lists (whether main or nested) as decks of
playing cards, use main Lists for running Procedures, and nested
Lists for supplying stimulus information, etc., for each trrial.

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter:  @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster )

/----
Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
take any and all questions at https://support.pstnet.com , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours, so make full use of
it.  3) In addition, PST offers several instructional videos on their
YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ).  4) If you do
get an answer from PST staff, please extend the courtesy of posting
their reply back here for the sake of others.
\----