E-prime does not recognise fMRI scanner trigger pulse

andreou.christina at gmail.com andreou.christina at gmail.com
Tue May 13 16:42:11 UTC 2014

Hi,

does anyone here use E-Prime for fMRI experiments? We are trying to get it
to work and even got the EEfMRI Extension, but the RunBegin Package Call
simply refuses to recognise the trigger pulse. I tried simply inserting a
wait object and define the parallel port as trigger mask (allowable
response {ANY}), and it didn't work either.
We did a bit of troubleshooting, and ended up changing the cable connecting
the scanner to the PC: the cable we normally use transmits the signal to
pin Nr. 10 of the port (acknowledge or interrupt pin), if I understood our
technician correctly - this works both with Presentation and Cogent
software. However, we saw something on the pstnet support page about
E-prime recognising input to pins 2 to 9, so we changed that and used a
cable that sends the signal to pin Nr. 9. Now we have a very peculiar
situation:

- the trigger pulse is recognised by the wait object, but only sometimes
(every 4th, 5th, or 10th pulse is recognised, there does not appear to be a
system). When it is registered, it appears as 7 in the E-Dataaid File and
in the .pdat file.
- when I substitute the default allowable input (^) to the RunBegin Package
Call to 7, it still isn't recognised at all.

I am in contact with pstnet support, but we haven't come further than that.

Has anybody encountered similar problems when setting up fMRI experiments?
Any input about your experience and/or settings you came up with will be
valuable!

Thanks,
Christina