remember samples from list between participants

Leon van Rijswijk vanrijswijk.leon at gmail.com
Sat May 17 15:40:39 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

I have been puzzling over this for a couple of weeks now, but I do not seem
to be any closer to a solution. The problem is that I want E-Prime to
exhaust a particular list over multiple participants without selecting
samples that have already been selected for previous participants. I will
try to break down the problem in a simplified version of the real
experiment I'm designing.

Suppose I want to present one stimulus at various stimulus presentation
times. I have nine different presentation times in a nested list under the
stimulus, but I do not want one participant to view my stimulus for more
than three times. I thus only present the stimulus three times for each
participant. For the first participant it randomly selects three stimulus
presentation times from the nested list (which is set with options: reset
sampling (all samples (9)), reset sampling at the beginning of each run is
unchecked, exit list after 1 cycle (9 samples)). Now, for the second
participant I want to randomly select from the six presentation times that
have not been selected previously and for the third participant I want to
randomly select the remaining three stimulus presentation times. To me this
seems like basic functionality but whatever I have tried I cannot get this
to work properly. It just seems to reset the sampling once the experiment
closes.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Leon