setting two different conditions for the experiment as a part of the initial script

Kelsey A Brown kbrown6 at wellesley.edu
Mon Sep 8 21:27:08 UTC 2014

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to use E-prime to build a stop signal frustration task, but I
have encountered a few complications in building the task.
At the moment, I am trying to create an initial script that would allow
E-prime to automatically run a participant in a condition (high frustration
or low frustration) depending on the participant number that I input before
running the experiment.
So for example, if I wanted to run 80 participants, half would be placed in
the high frustration condition and the other half would be placed in the
low frustration condition.

I have some ideas about how this could theoretically be carried out, but
I'm not sure if/how this can actually be implemented in the script. For
example, I would want the initial script to begin by telling the program to
pull 40 random numbers 1-80 (I would need to somehow make the same 40
numbers be pulled each time). The 40 numbers pulled would be placed in the
low frustration condition where pctcorrect (percent correct)=.80.
If else, (so if one of the other 40 numbers were pulled), place the
participant in a high frustration condition where  pctcorrect (percent
correct)=.30.

e.g. If I were running the program and I typed in my participant number as
3 and 3 was one of the random numbers pulled between 1 and 80 then the
program would automatically run the stop signal task placing the
participant in the low frustration condition where pctcorrect=.80 (where
participants could accurately inhibit on 80% of stop signal trials).

However, if the participant ID number was 8 and 8 was not one of the 40
random numbers initially pulled between 1 and 80 then the program would
place the participant in the high frustration condition where
pctcorrect=.30.

Is this something that is possible in E-prime?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for your input!
-Kelsey