Auditory Recording and Onset timing

Stuart Quirk stuart.quirk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 21:41:23 UTC 2014

Thanks David,

After playing around some more I think I have to stick with a fixed time
for trial display and buffer.
One problem is that people vary a fair bit in how long they take to answer
each trial so setting the
soundin  for x amount of fixed buffer time gets problematic when a trial
finishes and the next one
starts before the buffer time is completed. It seems that, in this case,
the 'extra' time is a problem for
starting the next trial-- e.g., I set the buffer to 3500msec, the vocal
answer at 1500msec works to trigger
the end of the trial, a 1000msec 'get ready' object follows but there is
still a second left in the buffer as the
next trial begins. So to set the buffer time at any specified value seems
to set the required duration of the
trial so I'll probably just stick with being consistent.
I hoped I could have the soundin continue via some 'infinite' duration
until the termination trigger setting plus 300msec or
something similar so the vocal trigger gives me logged reaction time and
the verbal answer is also captured but
I don't think I can have a flexible recording buffer time + a set time
window post termination of the object.
I played a bit before giving up and it seemed that soundin recording
terminated at the end of a trial even if
the buffer was set to have extra time (an effect I found with just adding
the soundin to the standard/provided
RTime sample experiment).

thanks again!
Stuart