Array-Voodoo

Benny Liebold benny.liebold at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 10 20:50:04 UTC 2014

Hi,
I've by now reached a point at which I have no clue what's going on.
Basically, I wrote some script for an E-Prime Experiment to select the
stimuli to display. I used arrays to represent the stimuli, because the
have categories from which they have be dran randomly and then checked, if
the violate the mode of stimulus selection. So first, I declared my array
at the beginning of the Experiment:

Dim EndArray(14,5,2) As String

The Array contains 14 Items that each have 5 attributes and are going to be
2 times, so these are the array dimensions. I decided to just ignore array
space "0" not to get lost in the script later on. Now, in a later script
E-Prime is told to randomly select on of 14 items and repeat this process
until

'determine destination

RandomObject = random(1,14)

'Destination already covered 2 times?

While EndArray(RandomObject,4,1) = "1" And EndArray(RandomObject,4,2) = "1"
'both are completed

RandomObject = random(1,14) 'draw again

Wend

This very easy condition check produces the following error - but I have no
clue why. Why is it regarding the array as a function instead of a
variable? I used this type of addressing arrays in other experiments and it
worked ...

"Unknown function EndArray"

I am aware that my code ist not beautiful at all, but it works most of the
time ;)

I would be glad, if you could help!

Regards
Benny