Stimulus marker

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Sep 23 15:53:43 UTC 2014

Juan,

Once again, if you use EP2.0.10 or later, I think
you can do this better with Task Events than with
inline code.  How about the following:

Suppose you use the object StimSlide to get your
subject response.  Make sure that it logs
StimSlide.ACC; you might also have to set its
PreRelease to 0 to make sure that E-Prime sets
the StimSlide.ACC attribute before executing the
next object.  Set up your trial Procedure something like

     StimSlide
     MarkerWait

MarkerWait is a Wait object with a Duration of
0.  Add a Task Event at StartTime, ActionTime, or
OnsetTime (in this case it hardly matters which,
if you want to know the difference please see
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/e-prime/OeiZ00V9SRc
).   Set it to use your communications device
(ParallelPort, Serial, etc.).  Use WriteString as
the Action, "(custom)" as the Source,
"[StimSlide.ACC]" for Custom, String for Data
Type; leave Delay at 0, and Enabled at Yes.

The key is the Custom value for the Task
Event.  If StimSlide is set to log .ACC, then
E-Prime will automatically create the
StimSlide.ACC attribute (though you might have to
set PreRelease to 0 to make sure that MarkerWait
does not try to use that attribute before its
value is set!).  Then MarkerWait can use that as
an attribute reference in the Custom value.

I have not tested this out myself, so I will be
very interested to learn what you get to work.  Please write back.

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter:  @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster)

/----
Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2)
You may reach PST's trained staff (and other
support facilities) at https://support.pstnet.com
.  3) If you do get an answer from PST staff,
please extend the courtesy of posting their reply
back here for the sake of others.
\----