introductions

David Boromisza-Habashi dbh at colorado.edu
Sun Aug 3 16:02:35 UTC 2008

Dear All,

Now that about a dozen of us are already subscribed to the ETHNOCOMM
list, self-introductions may be timely. As list owner, I would like to
ask you to kindly send a brief introduction to the list. I will be
happy to start our round of introductions.

I have recently defended my dissertation on "hate speech" as a
Hungarian cultural term for communicative action. In the fall, I will
be teaching a 2000-level course tentatively titled "Communication and
Society" (an introduction to discourse in society, using Tracy's
"Everyday Talk" as introductory text) and a 4000-level course on
Intercultural Communication (constructed around Carbaugh's "Cultures
in Conversation" and Agar's "Language Shock"). My current research
interests include reflexive language use (esp. the use of folk terms
for communicative action, such as "free speech" and various forms of
"dialogue"), forms of public/political communication, and the
observable dynamics of cultural contestation. I also have an interest
in conservative political/moral discourse and in the methodology of
rapid assessment (RAP).

Cheers,

DBH

--